Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Emptying The Engine Bay, Part 7

I started this afternoon by draining and removing the master cylinder. I still have to remove the brake lines, but I need to get the car up in the air to do that.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Emptying The Engine Bay, Part 6

Sara was running some errands while I worked on the engine bay this afternoon. When she returned home she helped me remove a few more things before we called it a day.

We removed both side signal marker lights.

This is the driver side signal marker light.

Emptying The Engine Bay, Part 5

This afternoon I worked on removing the rest of the wiring harness. Basically all that was left was the headlight harness. These three pictures show how the headlight harness was routed.

Painting The Firewall With POR-15, Part 2

We waited 2 1/2 hours, then went back out to the garage to apply the second coat of POR-15. I unsealed the can and mixed the paint with my newly-fashioned dauber turned paint stick.

Painting The Firewall With POR-15, Part 1

Here are the before shots of the firewall and the two inner areas below where the speaker mounts and behind the door jam. Sara worked on the firewall and I worked on the two inner areas.

Emptying The Engine Bay With Sara

After we decided to wait on the POR-15 until tomorrow morning, Jonathan started back in the engine bay. The first thing he removed was the positive battery lead.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Prepping For POR-15, Part 2

Sara and I worked on removing the seam sealer from the lower firewall tonight.

Driver side with seam sealer intact:

Prepping For POR-15

This is the area I prepped for POR-15 today. It is the inner area below where the speaker mounts and behind the door jam. First I vacuumed the loose dirt and gravel from this area, then used a rag with Marine Clean to wipe it down. I followed this with a wire brush and then repeated with the Marine Clean. After it was dry I vacuumed it out again.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Back To Working On KITT

With the extreme temperatures we have had lately we have not worked on KITT as much as I would have liked. Tonight there was a major cool down following a brief storm and we were able to get back to work on KITT again.

I want to continue work on putting POR-15 on the firewall and the rest of the interior spots that we did not get to the first time. I started tonight by removing the brake and accelerator pedals.

Center Console And Door Sills

My center console was pretty much trashed by the previous owner trying to remove it without knowing how, so I have been in search of a good replacement. I found someone that had one and it arrived this week. As a bonus it had the radio plate included and it is in great shape. I intend to repaint these a matte black so everything looks like new.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My 24K Gold Knight's Head Arrived!

Well, not exactly...

I found the perfect knight's head pieces at Target and with a little gold spray paint I think they look pretty convincing. One for the garage and one for my desk!

KITT MiniMate And A Comic Con Exclusive

More Knight Rider purchases :)

A Toys R Us exclusive KITT MiniMate

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Removing The Engine And Transmission

Today Troy and I pulled KITT's engine and transmission. I took a really quick video of the engine bay in its current state before we got started.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Off The Jacks And Waiting For Jack

Once I had KITT lowered back to the ground, I covered it with a tarp to keep the sun off the POR-15-coated interior. Then I rolled KITT out of the garage to wait for Jack to bring the tow truck.

All Jacked Up And Nowhere To Go

This afternoon after work my father helped me get KITT up on jack stands.

The jack stands I had purchased have 16 inches of lift height. Although this is enough to get under the car, it is very tight laying on a creeper. I needed to find a way to get more lift, so I bought a 14' 2x10 and cut it into 9 1/4 inch squares. Sara and I glued them together in a cribbing style with Gorilla Glue last night. Once the jack stands are on these cubes, we've gained an extra six inches of clearance.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Emptying The Engine Bay, Part 3

Saturday KITT goes in to the mechanic's to get the engine and transmission pulled so they can be sent off and rebuilt. I wanted to focus my efforts yesterday and today on removing some of the remaining brackets from the engine bay.

A/C Compressor Bracket

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Complete Crossfire Injection System!

I have been searching for another Crossfire Injection wiring harness because mine had been left at the mercy of some less than desirable previous owner. My harness is so badly hacked in some areas that I cannot make sense of the connections. A member of the Foundation board had a complete '82 Crossfire Injection system for sale, which included the wiring harness, so I bought it. The package arrived today. 

The set includes everything shown in the pictures below.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Emptying The Engine Bay, Part 2

We got up early so it was still cool in the garage when we started working on the engine bay. We planned to remove as much as we could from the engine bay today.

A/C Compressor