Thursday, January 3, 2013

Internal Frame Coating And Clean Up

Today I had not planned on working on the car because last night the forecast for today was a high of 14 degrees and I knew that I would not be able to get the garage warm enough to finish painting. However, when I got up at 7:00 this morning it was already 20 degrees outside and it ended up with a high of 25 degrees! They really cannot forecast the weather for anything. Not that I am complaining that it was warmer than it was supposed to be as it gave me more time to work on KITT. It would just be nice to be able to count on the forecast a day out at least. Okay, this is the end of my rant.

I decided to try out the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating that I ordered. I needed to coat the insides of the lower control/trailing arm mounts. The picture below shows the rust inside the frame on the driver side. The curved area inside is actually the underside of the rear floor pan.

The Eastwood Internal Frame Coating works as described. It is easy to use and I did not even need the spray nozzle extension for these areas. The odor is much stronger than POR-15. I think this has a lot more to do with it being an aerosol. It is also very runny, so be prepared to deal with drips and run off. The high viscosity is supposed to help the coating work its way into all the cracks and crevices. I cannot say much for the color choice (think pea soup), but then again this is meant for the insides of frames and should not be real visible.

Here is the same area after treatment.

Here is the inside of the passenger side lower control/trailing arm mount.

Here is the same area after treatment.

One of the areas I was really concerned about was the insides of the rocker panels. I have read too many horror stories about these rotting from the inside out. I used the 2-foot spray nozzle extension and fed it through a hole in the rear and then through the front of the each rocker panel. I coated the entire length of both rocker panels. The only feedback I have about using the spray nozzle extension is that it was curled up when shipped and never really straightened out. This is not a big deal, but I cannot help but think that it would work better if it was straight. 

My next focus will be cleaning up the car. The car is absolutely filthy from all of the underbody dirt and dust that was put in the air. When I am finished I want to take a video of the all of the exterior areas that have been treated with POR-15. I spent a little time this evening cleaning up the floor under the car and making sure that I have plenty of access room to clean everything tomorrow. 

I experimented on the passenger side wheel well in the engine bay. I tried just wiping it down with a dry rag, but the issue is that it is not just dust, but a powdery grease/grime and the rag just smears this around.  I figured out that if I use MarineClean diluted way down and just mist the area that the dusty mess will wipe up. Then I misted the area again with water and wiped it clean. You can see the results below. I plan to do the whole car tomorrow.

When I was cleaning out underneath the car I remembered that I do not need to keep the front nose and safety bumpers. So I will be getting rid of these tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment