Troy stopped over Thursday night to help remove the rotors. We started by using an air hammer to loosen the rust that had seized the rotors. The constant battering of the air hammer while rotating the rotor was enough to free them.
We started with the passenger side. This is the passenger side rotor.
And the driver's side axle.
We also removed the differential pin. This is worn and needs to be replaced.
In this picture Troy is trying to find the numbers stamped into the ring indicating the gear
ratio. It did not have the traditional stamped markings, but after a bit of searching with the numbers it did have we found out it is a 3.42 gear ratio.
We counted the splines on the axles. They are 26 spline axles. These will be replaced with stronger 28 spline axles.
Here is the open differential. You can see the wear marks on the right side of the carrier. The open carrier will be replaced with a posi (Positive Traction) carrier and the ring and pinion will also be replaced.
Here are a couple of pictures of the passenger side bearings.
I could not resist including this picture. I think it turned out really cool! This is the view looking inside and through the rear axle housing. The driver's side bearings can be seen in the forefront and you can see all the way through to the bearings on the passenger side. The light in the middle of the tunnel is the light coming through the differential.
We gave Troy a Project: K.I.T.T. Support Team shirt as a thank you for all the help and guidance he has provided. If you would like one of these fashionable shirts, or would just like to help support Project: K.I.T.T. check out the Project: K.I.T.T. Store!