After work on Monday I removed the hardware from the drivers side window. There were four rivets that needed to be removed in order to get everything off of the glass. I am used to being able to just drill out the rivets, but these rivets are not traditional rivets. They have a long threaded shank protruding through the rivet head. I knew that I would have to use my high-speed rotary tool to cut off the shanks before I could drill them out, so I started with that.
You can see what the threaded shanks look like in this picture. It almost looks like you could just thread it out.
It was so easy to cut through the shank with a cutting disc that I used the dremel to cut the head of the rivet in half, stopping just before the metal track.
With the head removed I was able to pop the pin through the other side using an ice pick.
I used the cutting disc to grind the shanks flush on the remaining three rivets. I briefly tried to drill the rivet out old-school-style, but found the cutting disc so much easier and faster.
The other three rivets came out just as easily as the first.
I removed the track and hardware from the window.
Here is the drivers side door glass with all of the hardware. I will not be saving the glass.
Today after work I removed the hardware from the passenger side window.
I started again by cutting all of the shanks off flush and found that I actually could pop the shank out before cutting through the head of the rivet. This made it even easier to see how far I needed to cut on the head.
Here is the passenger side door glass with all of the hardware I removed. I will not be saving the glass.