Prepping For Paint

posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:46 PM by Jonathan Imberi   [ updated Apr 11, 2015, 7:51 PM ]
I am feeling better today...well, at least I don't feel awful and I am not constantly coughing as I have been for the past two and a half weeks. I actually felt like getting out and working on KITT! 
 
I decided to repaint the differential cover because I am unhappy with how the finish turned out. I used a red caliper paint, and the finish did not end up smooth. It is very wavy and shows all the brush marks. I did a poll on the blog a while back asking whether I should paint the differential cover black along with the other red parts that ended up covered in gray primer. The poll results indicated I should keep it red.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-15bL3cAd9ro/VSnJeCVXleI/AAAAAAAA5pI/6H3T5QgdmXM/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_123055380.jpg

Today I pulled the differential cover off. Now you can see the new gears and posi unit.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zuecVZAM7tg/VSnJeJ5WFwI/AAAAAAAA5pI/4FZQWeNoOgI/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_123721112.jpg

Troy had put just enough differential oil in it to keep the gears lubricated when we were pushing it around. I drained this out and saved it for use again. I then placed a clean bowl over the opening to keep the inside clean. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uNLmJqJvxMA/VSnJeAKU5jI/AAAAAAAA5pI/P7D-o4fPX48/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_123749296.jpg

Troy had used RTV Silicone Gasket Maker to seal the differential cover. I started by scraping this off.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vdDV_lny0nM/VSnJeDhJN4I/AAAAAAAA5pI/jQixEaDZfCM/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_123807190.jpg

Then I applied paint stripper to the front of the differential cover. I did this several times, but it did not lift the caliper paint.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uiVYRDNo_ik/VSnJeGJdCeI/AAAAAAAA5pI/Ukaddl226wU/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_130414849.jpg

Even with heavy scraping, it barely scratched the surface. 

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N2yx8IJ-wbs/VSnJeNtS3wI/AAAAAAAA5pI/aVUqOJQneaI/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_130519227.jpg

I briefly considered getting out the wire wheel to remove the caliper paint, but then decided to check how much a new differential cover would cost. I found one on Amazon and decided the time I would spend wire wheeling and cleaning this differential cover up for paint would cost me more than just purchasing a new one. My new differential cover should be here Wednesday.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2aEdE2llhrg/VSnJeEApmCI/AAAAAAAA5pI/IU_yaRj59AU/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_131550581.jpg

Moving on to the blower housing... This is the upper portion of the housing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V8MuX-2YWh0/VSnJeHdP3HI/AAAAAAAA5pI/nYcgxvfculs/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133140232.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PNzplDr4tik/VSnJeJLtd0I/AAAAAAAA5pI/4c3mFgb8Gl4/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133150881.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RaWzr_7MO0o/VSnJeN_1aSI/AAAAAAAA5pI/qZdN3N3NBfg/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133204654.jpg

This is the lower portion of the blower housing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g8CreKywGGU/VSnJeH5Lb_I/AAAAAAAA5pI/NRV2oX5jVVo/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133221164.jpg

I removed the blower motor so we can clean the blower housing and prep it for painting.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vYoHDRZKaSA/VSnJePfZTLI/AAAAAAAA5pI/7Keayd3NpZY/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133332587.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-USEx3HA5RJw/VSnJeGMP34I/AAAAAAAA5pI/nhTaHS2SyZY/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133442597.jpg

I will be replacing the blower motor. If you have a '83 LeSabre and need a blower motor, let me know. ;)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-y7SBEqYXQlo/VSnJeJNgZOI/AAAAAAAA5pI/JTWn3b3_5FM/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133628797.jpg

Lower portion of the blower housing with blower motor removed and ready to clean:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KpYK46QvMRA/VSnJeMW1MMI/AAAAAAAA5pI/CIEywZGqUBo/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133657547.jpg

I cleaned the housing in two stages. First I used POR-15 Cleaner Degreaser, scrubbed the parts with a brush, and rinsed them with clean water to remove the major grime and dirt.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CPX5IoTh5cE/VSnJeI9RYzI/AAAAAAAA5pI/oJL3yLkVbzY/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_133727933.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q7sPYJw6U2o/VSnJeNU6UyI/AAAAAAAA5pI/QmkZ_Xwz-Kk/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_135058392.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QU3fHVu7WfQ/VSnJeLH6AsI/AAAAAAAA5pI/n6hijUQp6_4/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_135449676.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--VqlOxyL-KQ/VSnJeJc5MVI/AAAAAAAA5pI/2KGInCPvqOU/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_135511750.jpg

I hung them in the garage to dry. There was still some areas that were dirty, so we took them inside and washed them with hot water.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KMqYmgk05J4/VSnJeI--k3I/AAAAAAAA5pI/Vm_nU7CgDso/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_140842087.jpg

Here are the two pieces, cleaned and ready for paint! We will set up the painting booth tomorrow and hopefully will get some painting done.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZhXe9-xCs7w/VSnJeFhXREI/AAAAAAAA5pI/R4ySMJ0g56s/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_200200435.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9lZyRKK-gmE/VSnJeHOxRaI/AAAAAAAA5pI/oQM81xFznC4/w1438-h809-no/IMG_20150411_200230720.jpg

Lastly, Mark Puette has created a limited run of collectible lapel pin modeled after the gullwing knight-head emblem. It is actually a recreation of the exact knight-head emblem found on a screen-used gullwing. It is 1.5" in diameter. I ordered two. Click here for ordering information. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c96Jq30Q8HE/VSnLEtOU17I/AAAAAAAA5q0/SIVbuwFIV_0/w1024-h576-no/POP%2BDisplay%2BKnight%2BPin%2B3_zpsiwmwlmrl.jpg


https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yfU2169Xx-8/VSnLEUxxgkI/AAAAAAAA5qw/GhsdM4raQuc/s809-no/Pin%2B1%2Bcopy_zpsrlhlkii1.jpg