POR-15 Touch Up

posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:07 PM by Jonathan Imberi
Today after work I wanted to paint the damaged areas on the rear end. This is by far one of the worst spots. This is where the rear end slipped off of the jack when we were attempting to mount it in place. This actually gouged the metal.


After I had applied the first coat, I decided to work on fabricating some type of rubber insulator for the fuel sending unit lines. Upon reviewing the blog today, I discovered that I had Sara looking all weekend for a rubber grommet that never existed. The pictures clearly show there was nothing more than a piece of folded duct tape securing the fuel lines. Sorry Sara. The parts and illustration book does show there is supposed to be a rubber insulator that sits between the fuel lines and the top of the tank. This prevents noise and rubbing. I did some quick searching and discovered you cannot purchase this piece, and even the parts and illustration book does not list a part number.

I had some inspiration and decided to use some rubber feet from some old sign samples to make a grommet. I drilled out the hole to the size of the fuel line (in this case, 3/8") and then slit the side of the newly created rubber grommet. (The screwdriver in the picture below shows where I cut the slit.)


You can see in the picture below the large fuel line has the grommet installed. Although this is installed way too low on the fuel line, I wanted to make sure it will fit. Now I need to make three more for the other lines.


I also found out today that you cannot replace these breather valves for the fuel tank. This means I will need to clean this one up and make sure it still works.


I carefully took it apart. Yuck, look at all the crud inside.


Then I used Marine Clean and a toothbrush and a lot of scrubbing.


Then I rinsed everything off and reassembled. Looks pretty good for a 30 year old piece of plastic. When I had finished cleaning it, I used some rubbing alcohol to disinfect the tip, then blew into it to make sure the valve still functioned correctly. It worked.




Later this evening I applied a second coat of POR-15 to the damaged areas on the rear end. Here is a picture of the area damaged by the jack with two coats of POR-15.


Today I bought the following from Shawn (OhioKARR on The Foundation board): a fan shroud, radiator overflow cap, stainless steel L trim for the doors, a pair of dash/a-pillar trim pieces (the ones that shattered when they were knocked down from storage by the garage door), a heater box cover, a cowl screen, replacement dash vents and a spare 15" turbocast wheel. I am really excited to have found all of this and I cannot wait for it to arrive!