Lower Control Arms Go From Red To Black

posted Jun 22, 2014, 7:27 PM by Jonathan Imberi
Today's focus: the lower control arms. I needed to remove both wheels to gain better access.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BofoxyxXcfA/U6cjZa1FgKI/AAAAAAAAmR0/guT2dJGfFI0/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_114812010.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O8_Wra0yA7w/U6cjZQBDHrI/AAAAAAAAmR0/2Bw3wxJ0XB8/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_115215295.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kYvNBDNXAw4/U6cjZRKHe3I/AAAAAAAAmR0/5OkYcs7-clA/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_115440764.jpg


Upon closer inspection I saw some areas on the lower control arms that did not get roughed up enough. They were all in spots that were hard to get at, so I MacGyvered a new tool. I cut a piece of the 3M foam sanding pad and adhered it to a plastic scraper tool with some double sided tape. 


I was able to use this to get into some of the hard to reach areas.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AOZQrcsrjLs/U6cjZbkhCHI/AAAAAAAAmR0/9kuiEKAtHvo/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_120908298.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xBK0LAjmJok/U6cjZYAscsI/AAAAAAAAmR0/14L6T8GY6VE/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_120920714.jpg

When I had everything properly roughed up, I used some masking tape to mask off the areas I did not want to get POR-15 on. Specifically the grease Zerks and also the shocks because they are so close to the lower control arms.



I got the POR-15 ready to go. I noticed when stirring the POR-15 that it seemed thicker than usual and had the beginnings of a skin on the surface. 


I started with the ends, which were the hardest areas to paint, and then did the main area of the lower control arm.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CexPcV3LrxE/U6cjZbDh8_I/AAAAAAAAmR0/VJeLHR-197c/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_124825159.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xoFBUrmVQVU/U6cjZc9IZYI/AAAAAAAAmR0/BkFY9WurkD8/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_124838087.jpg

First coat is on!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8We7Qk7elRs/U6cjZXuVlII/AAAAAAAAmR0/6X90fXWntjQ/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_131913041.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R8sHr-_GCsE/U6cjZW_m3cI/AAAAAAAAmR0/eiCxcRpC9cI/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_131936890.jpg

After two hours' dry time, I applied the second coat of POR-15. The POR-15 was the same consistency as the first coat, with a slight skin on the surface before I stirred the can.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nXwfqV0Avvo/U6dHPQ0Pz8I/AAAAAAAAmWc/xcuMoWoKnfQ/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_160249529.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E9qVJqsL9lM/U6dHPeqibhI/AAAAAAAAmWc/Jqyb9LlXqHk/w1504-h846-no/IMG_20140622_160320669.jpg

When I started the third coat, the POR-15 in the can was the consistency of watered-down pudding. I am thinking that the day I painted with the high humidity ruined this can. I decided to go ahead and stir it up really well and paint with it, even though I might end up with brush strokes. I hate the idea of throwing it out.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kDfgGcHMYcc/U6d5-7G2gqI/AAAAAAAAmbc/BFLU1q-KCwE/w1422-h800-no/IMG_20140622_181450441.jpg

Third and final coat!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9YlbfAv39uc/U6d5-5D_IDI/AAAAAAAAmbc/YNh2cjqYuFA/w1422-h800-no/IMG_20140622_181831449.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OESVEgOM-Is/U6d5-793tvI/AAAAAAAAmbc/ie8RA0LznN0/w1422-h800-no/IMG_20140622_181847841.jpg