As far as I know I will have the only KITT replica featuring high gloss wheel wells. I have seen pictures of a lot of replicas, but I have yet to see one with glossy wheel wells. Even my plastic inserts are coated in high gloss black POR-15.
I got started this morning at precisely 6:24:52 AM. (Sara was still sleeping.)
My first task was to apply the seam sealer to the fender seams on both wheel wells.
The next two pictures were taken laying on the garage floor looking up at the driver's side rear wheel well. You can see the fender lip in the bottom of the picture. I will apply seam sealer to the seam that divides the wheel well into two halves.
The next two pictures were taken laying on the garage floor looking up at the passenger side rear wheel well. You can see the fender lip. I will apply seam sealer to the seam that divides the wheel well into two halves.
These next two pictures are after the seam sealer was applied to the passenger side rear wheel well.
I used POR-Patch to seal the hole where the rear wheel well meets the spare tire compartment. We applied PowerMesh to the inside of this area previously. I wanted the POR-Patch on the outside as an extra measure of protection and strength. This area is sealed and will not rust again.
I started the first coat of POR-15 at 9:05 AM after the seam sealer and POR-Patch had a chance to firm up enough to be painted over.
I finished the driver's side rear wheel well at 10:20 AM.
I started applying the second coat of POR-15 at 2:45 PM this afternoon. It is snowing today and I think the humidity is affecting the dry time on the POR-15. The second coat went faster than the first, and I finished at 3:40 PM.
After Sara and I watched a Christmas movie tonight, I went out to the garage to put the final coat on the rear wheel wells at 8:45 PM. Sara took my picture before I began painting.
I had a very small amount of paint left over in the bottom of the can, and I found out previously it does not keep when there is only a little left. I decided to put a touch up coat on the rear springs.
I still had paint left over so I used the rest of it up on the track/Panhard bar brace. I was able to cover the top side with one coat.
I finished for the night at 9:45 PM