Fog Light Pods, Part 2

posted May 9, 2015, 7:33 PM by Jonathan Imberi   [ updated May 9, 2015, 7:35 PM ]
This week I finished cleaning the rock shield for the steering shaft.

Here is a before picture of the rock shield covered in dirt and grease:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RERI6nvj-cU/VU68yfcDjQI/AAAAAAAA7cw/Xc3YQmYyLdE/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150502_114336827.jpg

Here is an after picture of the rock shield after I cleaned it up:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lj7E5WfiGVg/VU68yTnMOzI/AAAAAAAA7cw/kN19l4BZR0A/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150502_122413794.jpg

This week I also cut the remaining pod off the damaged light bar. (Remember I am using this one to practice on.) 

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0ZNcXJUomaI/VU68yXJ8mWI/AAAAAAAA7cw/ZNA3ar9CldU/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_171246003.jpg

After I felt I had perfected the process, I moved on to the good light bar.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4RuW1XU99dA/VU68yQQTq-I/AAAAAAAA7dM/BCrlToLu6L8/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_171915015.jpg

I saved the hood bump stops from both light bars, as they were both in very good condition and will work as replacements for KITT.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LU4TuzS3SpA/VU68yRvMDCI/AAAAAAAA7dM/VgQTM5Trw9g/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_171925071.jpg

I took these next pictures showing how the lights mount in the pods. They are more for my reference than anything else.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C7G7gO4Dw6s/VU68yc53OGI/AAAAAAAA7dM/RPTfMwS65ZQ/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_172037037.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-aI-0zpDUsl0/VU68yf76heI/AAAAAAAA7dM/HOF0IAg7Xww/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_172048536.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TiRh-xwVgac/VU68yRM_JQI/AAAAAAAA7dM/xMIBsBGGaAE/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_172059448.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7PLrMaekH-0/VU68ySEk4XI/AAAAAAAA7dM/r_7M1PM1Rx0/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_172118009.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-96oBWC5JkvU/VU68yX2jKKI/AAAAAAAA7dM/DgjRKjpmgHc/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_172125880.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VMz6PnEJcAY/VU68yZ671QI/AAAAAAAA7dM/0XiGXki_C2o/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_172139600.jpg

First pod successfully removed! This is the driver side.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0y58gpfe0kw/VU68yVx94sI/AAAAAAAA7dM/AhaqIdDbfWo/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_173716207.jpg

Both pods have been removed! They cut very easily.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XTzdLLPEb-A/VU68yS5BSsI/AAAAAAAA7dM/qFQdafWPw64/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_173926663.jpg

I smoothed the cut edges with 320 grit sandpaper.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xnzsJcg5ut4/VU68yeqUOXI/AAAAAAAA7dM/NtNO48S9anw/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_174818662.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yR9tvbMMMoI/VU68yVJlDAI/AAAAAAAA7dM/DulfimUVnMM/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_174833485.jpg

I also separated the casing from one of the low beam headlights. I wanted to see how hard it will be to paint the metal casing with POR-15. I thought the built-in level would also be easy to remove, as it looked to be just secured with a screw. However, they also epoxied it to the metal frame. I do not think there will be any way to remove it without breaking the level. We will need to tape this off before painting the casing with POR-15, or possibly just spray paint the whole frame. I will need to decide which way I want to go.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FKGv6wuCIoE/VU68yWZjZWI/AAAAAAAA7dM/ZVDZkM0ts7k/w1520-h855-no/IMG_20150504_174853582.jpg