Jonathan decided the first thing to do this morning was brush the seam sealer on the wheel wells. We still have to put the seam sealer on the interior of the car too, but on the inside it can go on top of the POR-15 since it will be covered by carpet. The seam sealer is gray, so Jonathan wanted to put it on the wheel wells first and then cover it with the black POR-15. This is a picture of Jonathan reading the instructions on the Eastwood Brushable Seam Sealer can.
We hung all those parts I cleaned by fishing line in the garage again.
Jonathan used a wire brush to brush over the seams on the wheel wells in preparation for the seam sealer.
Here is a picture of Jonathan brushing the seam sealer on. It has the same consistency as POR-Patch, which is weird because POR-Patch is in a tube and this is in a can. The first instruction on the can was to stir the seam sealer. It it like stirring very thick frosting. This has a pretty strong odor too. Jonathan said the smell was kind of bothering his stomach when he was brushing it on. It is pretty unusual for smells to bother Jonathan like that so you know it is strong. The POR-Patch smelled more like tar. Not that I like the smell of tar, but it is definitely better than the smell of this Eastwood seam sealer.
Here is the driver's side wheel well once it was sealed with seam sealer. The seam sealer is paintable in 30 - 60 minutes (depending on which instructions you read on the can - the top says 30 minutes, the detailed instructions on the side say 60).
Here is the passenger side wheel well with seam sealer. The instructions say to brush on one layer and then go back over it with the brush to even it out. Jonathan attempted to coat the entire wheel well and then go back over it, but by the time he did it was already drying and would not smooth out nicely. A lesson learned for next time.
Some people make booze runs. Some people make pizza runs. We make tarp runs. We went to Menards to buy more tarps because we were down to only one after last night. AND Menards finally restocked their corded impact drivers, so Jonathan now owns his own impact driver. (He says it will make a big impact.)
Back home with the tarps, the impact driver and lunch from Taco Bell. Jonathan started again by scuffing up the opening to the drive tunnel with a wire brush because even after all that scraping and scrubbing and cleaning we did two weeks ago it still had some paint on it.
I swept all the dirt out from underneath the car, and then Jonathan used the vacuum with the brush attachment and went over everything again one more time.
While Jonathan was vacuuming I was busy laying my tarps out. I put three tarps down so I could paint all the brackets and parts.
Jonathan scuffed up the springs with sand paper before I started painting them with POR-15. The springs still had some factory paint on them even after all that cleaning and prepping I did. GM must have used some good paint!
While I painted the first coat of POR-15 on all those parts, Jonathan painted the first coat on the underbody of the engine bay. Notice his stylish shower cap - I picked it out for him at Dollar Tree. It is decorated in a blue flower motif. Jonathan wants to do three coats of POR-15 on the underbody and wheel wells, so this is going to be a late night project.
Here are my parts with their first coat of POR-15. Some of these are going to get BlackCote for their second coat instead of POR-15.
This is the idler arm bracket. It was hanging from the ceiling, but Jonathan knocked it down when he got up from underneath the car. Luckily for him I had not started painting it yet. I stuck a cinder block under the tarp and painted it on top of that instead of rehanging it. (I figured if he ran into it once, he would probably run into it again.)
Here are my springs with their first coat of POR-15. The passenger side spring is able to stand up on either end so it was pretty easy to paint. The driver's side spring is another story. It only wants to stand on one end and tips over when placed on the other, no matter what I did. I did my best to paint it, but I think the passenger side is going to look significantly better than the driver's side.
After I finished painting my parts I moved onto the wheel wells. (Jonathan was still working on the underbody.) The POR-15 does not paint over the seam sealer the greatest. Hopefully it sticks okay. This picture is of the driver's side with one coat of black POR-15.
This is a picture of my right knee where the POR-15 bled through my jeans without my realizing it. It is okay; I was not planning on wearing a mini skirt this week anyway. Plus my black knee matches Jonathan's black bicep where the POR-15 bled through his shirt. POR-15 is great but it definitely can stain your skin.
I painted the strut tower caps with black POR-15. This shot really illustrates the difference in texture and finish between the UV resistant BlackCote and the black POR-15. The black POR-15 has a very high gloss, almost mirror finish.
This is the sway bar after the second coat of POR-15. I am going to paint a third coat on this since the underbody is getting three coats. I have the sway bar propped between a cinder block and the rear rotor. Because of this I will have to paint the very ends of the sway bar with POR-15 once it is completely dry and can be laid down.
After a two hour break we went back out to the garage to apply the third and final coat of POR-15. Here is my sway bar after the third coat.
The strut tower caps only received two coats of paint since that is what we did in the rest of the engine bay. I applied BlackCote for the second coat so they match everything now.