Another POR-15 Sunday

posted Sep 16, 2012, 6:53 PM by Sara Imberi
The first thing Jonathan noticed when we got started this morning was some of the underbody was still damp (specifically around the frame areas). He took the heat gun to these areas to speed up the drying process.


After Jonathan deemed the underbody dry, he vacuumed off all of the PowerMeshed areas inside the car. He is going to use POR-Patch on both sides of the PowerMesh to further reinforce and seal the holes in the floor pan.


Next he used the wire brush and went over everything he cleaned and prepped last night.


Then he vacuumed the underbody to remove any dirt and dust knocked loose from the wire brushing.


While Jonathan was brushing and vacuuming the underbody, I was getting my parts ready to be painted. I put a tarp down and then lined our cinder blocks on top. I am going to paint these pieces on top of the cinder blocks. They are too heavy to hang from the ceiling and this way they are up off the floor.


After I cleaned this heat shield yesterday I discovered it has a crack. Jonathan is going to POR-Patch the crack before I paint the heat shield.


One fly down, five to go. This stupid fly would not leave me alone when I was lining my parts up on my cinder blocks, so it had to die.


I went over the cracked heat shield with my parts brush, and then Jonathan mended the crack with POR-Patch.


Jonathan crawled underneath the car to get these shots of the underbody before he started painting. These are the areas he cleaned and prepped last night.





In order to make sure we got all the holes in the floor pan POR-Patched from the top, we used a light to illuminate from the bottom. This is me on the creeper shining the palm light up underneath the car so Jonathan could see all the holes through the PowerMesh.


This is what Jonathan is doing - applying POR-Patch to the PowerMesh on the floor pans.


While Jonathan was POR-Patching the underbody I used my pretty parts brush to brush off all the parts I am going to paint today.


My favorite part of P.E. in elementary school was Stations. I created my own Painting Stations today. I am going to start at the cinder block in the bottom right of this picture and make my way around clockwise. We always had fun music playing in the gym when we had Stations, and I plan to as well today. :)


Here is everything I am going to paint with POR-15. I have four parts hanging from fishing line from the hooks in the ceiling and six parts sitting on top of cinder blocks.


For the record, you cannot save a paint brush that has POR-15 on it. I tried to save my brush from last week in a sandwich baggie so I could reuse it, but the bristles were hard as stone today. It was a good plan though.


Finished painting the first coat of POR-15 on my parts! Jonathan wants to put three coats of POR-15 on everything since they are underneath the car.



Here is the drive tunnel after Jonathan applied one coat of POR-15 to it. The spots you can see at the front of the drive tunnel are just water spots from yesterday's cleaning. This area has already been painted and is glossy black too. We decided since we are putting three coats on everything and since it is so much work that we are going to break this painting job in half. Jonathan is only going to paint the drive tunnel today and leave the passenger and driver's side floor pan underbody for next weekend. I will have the underside of all my parts to finish painting next weekend as well.


We waited three hours and then applied a second coat of POR-15 to the underbody and the parts.


I think the wheel spindles look like Cardassian Galor-class ships. Too bad I am painting them black instead of brown.


Jonathan told me to paint just up to this point on the control arms because the bushings need to be pressed out and then new bushings pressed in. I will finish painting these once that happens.


Here is the drive tunnel with a second coat of POR-15.


This fly picked the wrong thing to land on. He was stuck tight to the paint.


I helped him get off the paint (mostly because I did not want a fly permanently mounted to the strut cap) but I do not think he is going to survive his experience. If you look closely at him you can see he is covered in black POR-15.


We waited three hours and then applied the third coat of POR-15. These two parts got a coat of BlackCote instead of POR-15. (If you are wondering, yes, the fly was dead.)


Here are my parts after three coats of black POR-15.



Here is the drive tunnel after three coats of POR-15. Jonathan took this shot from the back looking forward.