300th Post!

posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:19 PM by Jonathan Imberi
Wow! Can you believe it is our 300th post? Project: K.I.T.T. has been going strong now for 2 years and 22 days. (Read my first post.) Now to be fair, we have only had the Trans Am for 1 year, 8 months and 2 days. We still have made a tremendous amount of progress in that time!

I have spent some time here and there over the last few days doing some cleaning and reorganizing in the garage. (Yes, I know we do that a lot. What can I say? We like things organized.) 

I went through the garage and got rid of a lot of the parts that we no longer need, either because we have already replaced them or they are not going back on the car. Here is what I got rid of (and what I kept):

I got rid of the power antenna assembly. It was non-functional and KITT will not have an external antenna.


I kept the bracket (because I thought I could use it for something else) and screws, the grommet, and the wire harness plug.


I got rid of the previous owner's hacked up fan shroud.


I kept the mounting clips from the fan shroud.


I got rid of the lower A-pillar trim. This was the trim that shattered when it fell from the storage spot in the garage. I bought replacements.


I really wanted to be able to get the Freestyle back in the garage. It has been sitting outside for over a month because we had to move the back glass out from underneath the car. I was able to downsize the big boxes of parts enough that there was room on the side wall to store the back glass.


Sara's Dad came over to help me move the glass. I thought about trying to move it myself, but after all the possible ways that could go wrong had flashed through my head I decided to call Dad.


Before we could lean the glass against the wall I needed to remove the brackets. These are mounted to the base which is currently resting on the padded carpet on the floor. We covered it with a blanket to protect it. (This is the heavy green blanket Sara gave KITT in the hopes Santa will bring her a new one this year. )


The garage is clean enough for Sara to put Ruby back inside!


My package from Eastwood came.


I am still very impressed with their packing. 


The Marine Clean I ordered leaked, but thankfully Eastwood had it sealed in its own bag. None of the liquid escaped.


Tonight I cleaned the the steering column. I used foaming window cleaner and a soft bristled brush. Because the window cleaner contains alcohol it evaporates quickly and is safe for use on almost all surfaces.


You can see how well it cleaned the column up.


I flipped the steering column over and cleaned the other side as well.


The wires and connectors seem to be in very good shape.


There are a couple of spots on the lower portion of the column that have some mild rust. I plan to treat these with Prep and Ready and then hit them with some spray paint.