Project: K.I.T.T.

Project: K.I.T.T. is the restoration & conversion of a 1983 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am into Knight Rider's KITT.


posted by Jonathan Imberi

Finally! Here is what I have been busy working on the last two months. I am sure some of you have guessed already, but here is a video introducing KARR! This is my tribute to the Knight Automated Roving Robot. We kept KITT in the dark about this whole side project until the filming of this video. You can hear him having a fit over my Comlink...I do not think he is impressed. He'll get over it.

Happy 32nd Birthday KITT!

posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:44 AM by Jonathan Imberi   [ updated Sep 26, 2014, 5:05 PM ]

Help Rebuild The FLAG Semi Trailer!

posted Sep 23, 2014, 4:04 PM by Jonathan Imberi

Late Night Test Drive

posted Aug 31, 2014, 11:48 AM by Jonathan Imberi

Not Just A Car...

posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:54 PM by Jonathan Imberi

I know that posts have been scarce as of late, but I promise there will be an update or at least an explanation very soon...

Keep Your Scanners Peeled!

Happy Birthday To Me! :)

posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:41 PM by Jonathan Imberi   [ updated Jul 25, 2014, 4:43 PM ]

Meet KITT's little brother! It's a 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT!

KITT Lives!

posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:54 PM by Jonathan Imberi

Switching Gears: Replacement Strut Tower Caps & A Little Padding

posted Jun 26, 2014, 6:20 PM by Jonathan Imberi

I ordered some more replacement parts from Shawn (OhioKARR) and they arrived yesterday. Yeah...I know, what would I do without this guy?!

I had him on the hunt for an 83-84 specific shift plate in great condition, strut tower caps and a knee bolster. He sent me a message that he had found all three and now they are mine! :)

Here are the strut tower caps...

the knee bolster...

and the shift plate for the 83-84 Firebird.

Lower Control Arms Go From Red To Black

posted Jun 22, 2014, 7:27 PM by Jonathan Imberi

Today's focus: the lower control arms. I needed to remove both wheels to gain better access.

Upon closer inspection I saw some areas on the lower control arms that did not get roughed up enough. They were all in spots that were hard to get at, so I MacGyvered a new tool. I cut a piece of the 3M foam sanding pad and adhered it to a plastic scraper tool with some double sided tape. 

I was able to use this to get into some of the hard to reach areas.

When I had everything properly roughed up, I used some masking tape to mask off the areas I did not want to get POR-15 on. Specifically the grease Zerks and also the shocks because they are so close to the lower control arms.

I got the POR-15 ready to go. I noticed when stirring the POR-15 that it seemed thicker than usual and had the beginnings of a skin on the surface. 

I started with the ends, which were the hardest areas to paint, and then did the main area of the lower control arm.

First coat is on!

After two hours' dry time, I applied the second coat of POR-15. The POR-15 was the same consistency as the first coat, with a slight skin on the surface before I stirred the can.

When I started the third coat, the POR-15 in the can was the consistency of watered-down pudding. I am thinking that the day I painted with the high humidity ruined this can. I decided to go ahead and stir it up really well and paint with it, even though I might end up with brush strokes. I hate the idea of throwing it out.

Third and final coat!

No Rain...All Gain! It's POR-15 Time!

posted Jun 20, 2014, 6:57 PM by Jonathan Imberi

I got off work early this afternoon and could not wait to get started on the Panhard/track bar and the subframe connectors. There was no rain in the forecast and the humidity was more normal for this time of year. I started by sanding the parts with 320 grit sand paper as recommended by the tech support at POR-15. This stuff is tough though and it takes a lot to scuff it.

The 3M sanding pad did not remove the bubbles, but leveled them out enough that the remaining two coats should smooth it out and cover them up.

I called the POR-15 support line to double check on proper prep after sanding and was told to first use a tack cloth and then compressed air to clean the sanding dust of the parts. No other prep is needed.

Ready to paint!

My friend Jessica surprised me by stopping over to say hi and she got a chance to see what I was working on. Jessica asked about the results of the poll to decide what to do with the wonder bar and the differential cap. I told her right now leaving them red is winning, but I am keeping the poll open and am continuing to get votes. If you have not voted, please cast your vote now.

Here is the Panhard/track bar with the second coat of POR-15.

Here are the subframe connectors after the second coat of POR-15.

Third and final coat of POR-15!

Project for tomorrow: Tackling the lower control arms.

1-10 of 358